Holiday Dangers for Pets

  

The holidays bring joy, laughs and of course delicious food! However, due to activities and constant distractions, we can easily overlook potential dangers to our furry family members. By being aware of a few top potential dangers this season, you can save yourself a trip to the vet.

Tinsel, while not toxic, is very attractive to pets. The shiny decoration reflects light and can move very easily — appearing to come alive to watchful eyes. Once consumed, tinsel can cause serious injury to your pet. If not caught in time, this foreign body could actually be fatal as it twists and bunches inside your pet’s intestines. If ingested, immediate veterinary care is required. Also, be watchful of where you place your bright and colorful tree ornaments for they can attract your pet’s curiosity. To help prevent an incident, place glass, aluminum and paper ornaments higher up on your tree. Pets can, unfortunately, chew and swallow these fragile objects and cause serious injury to their mouth, throat and intestines. Ornaments can also be a choking hazard. 

Holiday lights, of all shapes and types, may be another source of danger to your curious pets. If chewed, electrical shock may occur. Check your holiday lights for signs of fraying or chewing and as a precaution, use a grounded three-prong extension cord. The holidays are not complete without the beautiful ambiance of lit candles. However, make sure to place them in a hard-to-reach spot so that your pets are unable to get to them. If knocked over they can become a fire hazard, as well as, burn your furry friend's paws. It may be cute when your pups play with the holiday wrapping paper, bows and ribbons however, to prevent ingestion, its best to remove them from your companions reaches. If swallowed, such items can lead to chocking, or intangible within the intestines. If this occurs, take your pet to the emergency room immediately.

Festive events often mean table scraps for your pets. Unfortunately, some of the most popular holiday goodies, such as chocolate, bones and nuts, can be extremely toxic or fatal to your furry companions. Chocolate contains various levels of fat, caffeine and the substances methylxanthines. In general, the darker and richer the chocolate, the higher the risk of toxicity. Depending on the type and amount of chocolate ingested, dogs might experience vomiting, diarrhea, urination, hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias, tremors and seizures. As much as they love it, fat trimmings and bones are dangerous for your dogs. Fat trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, may cause pancreatitis. And, although it seems natural to give a dog a bone, a dog can choke on it. Bones splinter and can cause an obstruction or lacerations of your dog's digestive system. Abundant in many cookies and candies, certain nuts should not be given to pets. Lethargy, vomiting and loss of muscle control are among the effects of nut ingestion. Keep your pet on their regular diet and caution visitors against giving your pet special treats or scraps. Taking the extra time to prevent these possible threats to your happy pets during the festive times can help ensure that you and your family enjoy a joyful — and healthy — holiday season! Happy Holiday's to you and your four-legged companions!

For more information on how to keep your pup safe view our blog post on Dog Toys Playtime and Safety. For more tips of safe dog toys visit http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/dog_toys.html



Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.